There is one thing every internet marketer agrees on about making money on the net and that is, it is a numbers game! And this demands you being able to generate the right number of traffic that will help you make the desire money.
The goodnews however is that there are various ways of generating this traffic without putting a hole in your pockets. One of those ways is through blog commenting. The ability of blog readers and visitors to interact with a blogger through the commenting system has become a powerful tool for bloggers for generating blog traffic. This being said, there are some salient points you need to note if you truly want to promote your blog through blog commenting. As with every other blog promotion tactic, commenting on blogs with the mind of generating traffic to your blog demands laying out a good plan that will ultimately benefit you.
Here are a few tips that will help you succeed driving traffic with your blog comments:
1. Practice Purposeful Blog Commenting
If your desire is to really drive traffic with your comments then you need to be purposeful with your blog commenting. Choose the sites and blogs you participate with. Just because you have the burning need to drive traffic to your blog doesn’t mean you can just drop by any blog and comment there. Of course there are times you may want to comment on a blog that is completely irrelevant but you should do that only during your spare time. Focus your energies only on more productive commenting activities. Take note of the following:
- Similarity in interest and target market – The first thing you will need to look out for is the subject of the blog. What's the point of leaving comments on blogs that have nothing at all to do with the main theme of your blog? Of course a direct connection may not be necessary but if the traffic you get from such activities does not benefit you, then your efforts would have been wasted. Keep this in mind before you leave comments on any blog. Find out if the site deals with a topic or subject related to your very own blog.
- Popularity – Ok, it's well to support smaller blogs by leaving comments now and then but since your aim here is to drive traffic, commenting on small, little-known blogs with a small readership base, won’t justify the amount of time and effort you invest. If you’re going to use comments to promote your blog, it’s better to post them at blogs that are equally popular or more so than yours. One way of determining this is by using the blog’s page rankings.
- Will they reciprocate? – Another way of practisng purposeful blog commenting is to concentrate your efforts on blogs whose owners are likely to reciprocate your action. To determine this simply read through previous entries. Follow the links of those who posted comments and see if the favor was returned.
2. Get Noticed With Your Comments
Many bloggers tend to be in a hurry when making comments. With comments such as ‘Cool!' ‘Great article' and ‘Thanks for sharing!' won't make any good if your plan is to drive traffic with your comments. You should aim to write something that is meaningful and useful. Keep it short, concise, and to the point. Your goal is to be noticed AND respected for your opinions.
3. Avoid Being Rude And Don't Use Strong Language
Many bloggers do capitalize on controversy in driving traffic when commenting but most times this could really backfire. Avoid appearing rude to other commenters. Put in a little sense of humor instead. When others leave comments that seem to be insulting, don't fight back without thinking. Plan your approach instead of firing back with the same kind of idiotic language. You could actually use such times to draw more attention to your comments, with class.
4. Be Factual
Another thing you must be careful about when commenting is being factual. If you're quoting someone or citing a certain source, make sure your facts can be corroborated. Don't use make-believe or newly invented figures and statements or even half-truths and try to pass them off as legit. If you want to drive traffic to your blog by leaving comments, make sure you don't tarnish your reputation with the effort.
5. Check Replies To Your Comments
Maximize your comments on other blogs in driving traffic by frequently checking back on the blogs you participated in to see if there are any replies to your comments or the post. This is a good way to build buzz and network with other bloggers.
The bottomline to all of these is that driving traffic through blog commenting is not something you can achieve through a “hit and run” system of blog commenting. It demands laying out a plan and following it through.
So what's your take on this? Is there is something you'd want to add to this list? Share with us in the comments below.